Sunday, October 30, 2011

Zippy Salsa Recipe {From a Spice Wimp}

Dear Tomatoe Plant,
Thank you for abundently producing the most delicious tomatoes this year. You were a real trooper! Especially when we would leave town for a week in the hot summer, and there was no water for you to drink. I applaud you for enduring to the end! And producing tomatoes to the very last day of warmth until the first freeze.
Until next year,
-Adri

Salsa Recipe Below


This salsa can be made as HOT or as MILD as you'd like.
Adjust the amount of peppers according to your liking.
I am a total SPICE WIMP...so I would make it very mild, and then add some peppers to the salsa for my husband to eat.

Homemade Salsa Recipe:
6    medium tomatoes, chopped/blended to chunky consistancy
1/2   sweet onion, chopped
__    anehiem pepper, chopped (to taste...I used 1)
__    jalepeno peppers (to taste...I used 1)
1   tsp salt
2   tsp black pepper
1   tsp Garlic (I used garlic powder cause I didn't have any fresh
3   TB cilantro, chopped (I use a LOT...cause I like it)
Juice from 1 lime (or lemon...whatever you have)
(optional spices to add: thyme, ground cumin, and corriander)
BLEND together in your food processor or blender, adding ingredients 1 at a time.
TIPS:
Add food ingredients first, add spice ingredients last.
For chunkier salsa, remove some of the liquid by straining all or half of your salsa batch. Then add back any juices  until you reach the desiered texture.
Everything can be adjusted to your liking. That is the BEAUTIFUL THING about salsa!!

**If it tastes too hot, then you have 2 options for dialing down the heat.
1-- Add more tomatoes to dilute the salsa. You may need to add more spices to taste.
2-- Refrigerate the salsa overnight. The next day it will be a little more mild than when its fresh.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...