Sunday, January 26, 2014

Primary Music: Snowman Bowling Activity

This week in Primary we went bowling!
Here is our little "Olaf", so lovingly named by our Junior Primary.

First, I taught them about dynamics, and when to sing loud/soft during our song. Then, we reviewed "He Sent His Son" using dynamics. They sang beautifully. So much, in fact, that they earned a game!

(I found this idea via our wonderful LDS Primary Chorister facebook group. Best community ever!)

1- Wrap 10 toilet paper rolls in plastic wrap using a little tape (so you can use the tp later. hehe)
2- Add buttons, face, hat, gloves. I used tape to secure the buttons.
3- As children are signing, stack the TP. The better they sing, the taller your snowman will be.
4- After each song, I asked a teacher to choose a very reverent child who was signing really well to come knock down the snowman with the ball.
5- Repeat each song!

WOW - This was a GREAT motivator. I had every child (senior primary) sitting up straight, with arms folded, singing LOUD. Everyone wanted a turn. I wish they all had a chance to do it....I think some of them felt bad they didn't get picked, especially when they were all working so hard to be good. It was a bitter sweet feeling for me, actually. 

Tips:
**Use a big tote or bag to take to church. (I love my giant striped tote bag!)
**Have a teacher or member of the primary presidency do the "stacking" so you can still lead the music.
**I didn't use the gloves while playing the game...too difficult!
**Put 2-3 rolls as the base, otherwise it falls to quickly
** Use a ball that is heavy enough. I ended up needing a volleyball. The ball pictured was too lightweight to knock it down.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does not look like a snowman. I'm just saying if a parent walked in during that lesson it looks suspiciously like something inappropriate.

Toni Green said...

Previous comment - you are the only one thinking that. It’s a darling idea.

Anonymous said...

Haaaa! And I hope they’d giggle and put on the face of maturity and appreciate the creative way of engaging the kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...