Sunday, April 14, 2013

How To Save Money Buying Produce

We eat ALOT of produce. It seems we eat hundreds of dollards worth of produce each month. I can save tons of money by purchasing produce through a food co-op.

I love Bountiful Baskets. Its a GREAT volunteer run food co-op. If you are new to the co-op experience, you can learn about Bountiful Baskets by clicking HERE. Bountiful baskets is EVERYWHERE around the Western U.S.A. Go to their website to see if they have it in your hometown.

I've been participating in Bountiful Baskets since 2007. I like it best in the spring and summer when there are lots of fruits in season.

 
Every week is different.
This week I got:
8 bananas
1 pound strawberries
3 huge granny smith apples
1 pineapple
4 pears
2 stalks celery
1 head green leaf lettuce
3 zucchini
3 cucumbers
6 tomatos
5 giant russet baking potatos

All this produce weighed 26.52 pounds.
$15.00 for Bountiful Basket
+$1.50 handling fee (for online debit card payment)
=$16.50 total cost for Bountiful Basket

$16.50 / 26.52 pounds = $0.62/lb for ALL this produce
AMAZING!

I was in a hurry to get my bread in rolled up and in the oven.

In the next picture you will see 1/2 of my B.B. produce, my FOOD SCALE, alaskan ulu,  and my super soft moist bread ready to put into bread pans.
Exciting day at the Johnson house. :-)



Here is my whole wheat bread recipe. Soft, moist, fluffy. Mmmmm goodness.
I'll be posting instructions and tips for my breadmaking sometime this summer. But if you have questions before then, please ask!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...